When we talk about engine oil, synthetic oil has been tested and proven to be the best option in terms of form, function, and protection for your vehicle. Synthetic oil is artificially made of chemical compounds with the aim to boost performance and purity. Not all synthetic oil are created or made equal, some are more equal than others, the question then is; what’s the best synthetic oil for your car?
Though synthetic oil is sometimes twice as expensive as conventional oil, synthetic oil would always come out on top when it comes to longevity and ability to handle extreme high temperatures without breaking down easily.
Let’s cut the chitchat and get straight to the point, if what you are looking for is an excellent advanced synthetic oil from a reliable brand to keep your car’s engine running like new, Mobil 1 should be your Number 1 choice, Check it out on Amazon.
Mobil 1 is a reliable brand with excellent wear protection. Don’t just take our word for it, as far as volume of sales and proliferation in USA is concerned, Mobil 1 synthetic Motor Oil, is the leading brand, it is the most recognized synthetic Oil Brand in the World, Millions of Americans that rely on this product can’t be wrong. In the course of carrying out this research, I spoke to a number of industry experts and asked them to make their recommendation, Mobil 1 always came up in the top 3
On the other hand, if you are driving any of the luxury or performance cars that includes BMW, Audi, Range Rover, Mercedes-Benz, Porsche and Ford, you’ll wan to go for Castrol Edge 0W-40 A3/B4, there’s a reason it’s getting 5 solid stars rating on websites like Amazon, Walmart, etc., you can check it out here. I personally use Castrol (5W 20) on a Ford Edge 2011 Limited Edition and I can tell you that it runs very cool, in my opinion, I think it’s the best oil to use for higher performance vehicle.
Best Synthetic Motor Oil You Should Be Using
- Mobil 1 5W-30 Motor Oil
- Castrol Edge 0W-40 A3/B4 Motor Oil
- Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil
- Royal Purple SAE 5W-30 API-Licensed Synthetic Motor Oil
- MAG1 5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil
- Liqui Moly Premium 5W-40 Synthetic Motor Oil
- Quaker State Full Synthetic Motor Oil
- Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic Heavy Duty Engine Oil
- Valvoline SynPower Full Synthetic Motor Oil SAE 5W-20
- AMSOIL Z-ROD 10W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil
Table of Content
10 Best Engine Synthetic Oil For You
Types Of Synthetic Oil
– Full Synthetic Oil
– Synthetic Blend
Benefits Of Synthetic Oil
What To Consider When Picking The Best Synthetic Oil
Our First Choice
10 Best Synthetic Oil
Below are our top 10 best engine synthetic oil (pick based on various focus areas each delivers).
Best Synthetic Oil (Overall Performance)
Mobil 1 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil Review
Mobil 1 5W-30 is an advanced full synthetic engine oil designed to keep your engine running like new by providing exceptional wear protection, cleaning power, and overall performance.
Mobil 1 5W-30 is made with a proprietary blend of high-performance synthetic base stocks fortified with a precisely balanced component system. The 5W-30 viscosity grade is one of the most recommended viscosity grades for new cars.
Mobil 1 5W-30 is uniquely designed to help provide unsurpassed levels of performance, cleaning power and engine protection.
- Its advanced full synthetic formula helps prevent deposits and sludge build-up to enable long Excellent overall lubrication and wear protection performance for many driving styles engine life.
- It has an excellent overall lubrication and wear protection performance for many driving styles.
- Increased fuel efficiency.
- Extends engine life with excellent low-temperature capabilities.
Castrol Edge 0W-40 A3/B4 Motor Oil Review
Castrol EDGE boosted with TITANIUM FST doubles the oil’s film strength, preventing film breakdown and reducing friction to help maximize engine performance.
- Maximises short and long term engine performance.
- Reduces engine deposits to help maximize engine response.
- Delivers unsurpassed levels of protection across a variety of driving conditions and temperatures with excellent performance at low temperatures.
- Sustains maximum performance even when under pressure.
- Independently proven to improve engine efficiency.
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil (With PurePlus) Review
PurePlus Technology is a revolutionary gas to liquid process which converts natural gas into a first of its kind extremely high-quality full synthetic base oil. This base oil is crystal clear with fewer of the impurities found in crude oil. From that pure, clear base, some high-performance additives were added to create Pennzoil Ultra Platinum; designed for complete protection without compromise.
From that pure, clear base, some high-performance additives were added to create Pennzoil Ultra Platinum; designed for complete engine protection without compromise.
- Clean pistons
- Better fuel economy
- Protects horsepower
- Unsurpassed wear protection
- Excellent performance in extreme temperatures
Royal Purple SAE 5W-30 API-Licensed Synthetic Motor Oil Review
Royal Purple’s API-licensed Motor Oil combines premium base oils with proprietary additive technologies to create high-performance motor oils that optimize engine performance. Royal Purple’s API-licensed motor oil delivers superior protection and improves performance in gasoline and diesel engines.
- lubrication performance
- Better wear protection
- Increased fuel efficiency
MAG1 5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil Review
MAG 1 Full Synthetic Motor Oils are state of the art, advanced technology, synthetic motor oils which provide the highest level of engine protection available, even under the most severe operating conditions. The 100% synthetic base oils in MAG 1 provides exceptional resistance to high-temperature oxidation thickening.
Exceptionally high viscosity indices minimize cold weather oil thickening, which greatly reduces battery drain and engine wear, even at subzero start-ups.
- MAG 1 5W-30 is formulated with High Phosphate Retention ZDDP for extended wear performance.
- MAG 1 5W-30 keeps pistons cleaner minimizing oil consumption and maintaining power and compression performance.
- Maximizes Fuel Economy.
- It reduces engine sludge to near zero.
Liqui Moly Premium 5W-40 Synthetic Motor Oil Review
Liqui Moly is a fully synthetic, all-season motor oil for superior performance and long engine life in gasoline and diesel vehicles.
- saves fuel
- Instant lubrication after cold start
- Maximum engine performance
- Keeps engine clean
- For extended service intervals
Quaker State Full Synthetic Motor Oil Review
Even after hundreds of thousands of miles of severe real-world driving it still performs and then it gives you even more:
- More durability with the help of a fuel-saving additive that keeps the oil fresh.
- More engine life – as your engine temperature increases, heat-activated viscosity improvers, and antiwear additives kick in to maintain oil thickness to help extend your engine life.
- More performance through superior lubrication flow and pump-ability in below-freezing temperatures.
Best Heavy Duty Synthetic Engine Oil Review
Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic Heavy Duty Engine Oil Review
Shell ROTELLA T6 Full Synthetic Heavy Duty Engine Oil features an advanced multi-functional, low-ash additive technology in a synthetic base oil; designed to provide highly responsive protection that continuously adapts to your driving conditions.
- Extended-drain capable
- Energy saving – fuel-economy performance
- Excellent engine cleanliness and wear protection
- Excellent extreme high/low-temperature protection
- Improved low-temperature flow
- Protection Against Wear
Best Synthetic Oil (High Temperature)
Valvoline SynPower Full Synthetic Motor Oil SAE 5W-20 Review
Valvoline Full Synthetic motor oil is specially formulated to provide enhanced engine protection against heat, deposits and wear. Through its advanced formulation, Valvoline Full Synthetic provides extra detergents and dispersants that provide maximum sludge and deposit protection, along with premium additives that hold up to high temperatures and friction under severe driving conditions.
- Provides excellent engine cleanliness through superior sludge and varnish protection.
- Helps reduce engine wear at high temperatures with improved viscosity stability.
- Provides outstanding high-temperature protection under severe driving conditions.
- Provides superior cold-temperature protection through faster oil flow at start-up.
- Formulated with antiwear additives that stay in your oil longer for outstanding protection against friction and wear.
- Helps maintain fuel efficiency for the life of the oil.
- It is fully compatible with all conventional and leading synthetic motor oils.
Best Synthetic Oil (Wear Protection)
AMSOIL Z-ROD 10W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil Review
AMSOIL Z-ROD Synthetic Motor Oil is specially engineered for classic and high-performance vehicles. It features a high-zinc formulation to prevent wear on flat-tappet camshafts and other critical engine components, along with a proprietary blend of rust and corrosion inhibitors for added protection during long-term storage. Z-ROD Synthetic Motor Oil is designed to perform on the street and protect during storage.
- AMSOIL Z-ROD Synthetic Motor Oil is formulated with high levels of ZDDP to protect flat-tappet cams, lifters, rockers and other areas susceptible to wear. Its high-zinc, high-phosphorus formulation provides the extra wear protection critical splash-lubricated components require.
- Provides Long-Term Protection from Rust & Corrosion: AMSOIL Z-ROD Synthetic Motor Oil is formulated with a unique blend of rust and corrosion inhibitors to ensure maximum protection during long-term storage.
Types Of Synthetic oil
It is important to note that various companies and brands have put in major research and development in the formulation of their oil. While various formulas achieve a given outcome, there are basically two types of synthetic oil: Full Synthetic Oil and Synthetic Blend. Here’s what you need to know about both:
Full Synthetic Oil
Full synthetic oils are made from crude oil or by-products through a chemical process rather than the distillation process used for conventional oil. They use a synthetic base stock mixed with a variety of additives that boost the performance of the oil.
While synthetic oil may offer a higher level of protection than synthetic blends or conventional oil, not all synthetics are equal.
Synthetic Blend is a mix of conventional motor oils and synthetic base stocks. As a result of added synthetic base stock in Synthetic Blends, they provide better performance and protection when compared to your conventional oil.
Benefits Of Synthetic Oil
There are a number of benefits in using synthetic oil. Regardless of their slight differences, the good news is there is always a product for you; depending on your focus area, car type or location. Just to list a few, here are some benefits of synthetic oil:
- Longer Engine Life and reduced oil sludge problems:
Synthetic oils contain fewer impurities compared to conventional motor oils and can better resist the formation of sludge thereby preventing deposits from forming in your engine.
- Better low- and high-temperature performance:
Synthetic oils are engineered to flow quickly even at low temperatures, they start protecting your engine right after you start your car. Furthermore, in higher temperatures synthetic oils do not easily break down or evaporate.
- Improved fuel efficiency and Lower oil consumption under high-speed conditions.
- Extended drain intervals, with the environmental benefit of less used oil waste generated.
- Increased horsepower and torque due to less initial drag on engine.
What To Consider When Picking The Best Synthetic Oil
various brands and products contain very different types and combinations of base oils and additives. Though there might be some differences in the formulation of these oils, it is almost impossible to tell the difference in terms of performance.
To determine which synthetic oil is best for you, it is best to refer to your owner’s manual; it gives a detailed breakdown on what type of oil is needed for the car.
When considering the best oil to use, a few things such as; viscosity, lubrication properties, fuel Economy, better wear protection, durability and sometimes a combination of all or just the Best price as compared to delivery should be put into consideration?
- Viscosity: Lower viscosities are better adapted to cold weather use, while higher viscosities can help improve engine performance in warmer conditions. Various oils usually have numbers printed on them; an example would be the “5W-30”. The two numbers refer to the oil’s viscosity properties during a cold start and at high operating temperatures.
- Lubrication Properties – lubrication and reduction in the friction between a number of critical engine components is singlehandedly one of the most important role of an engine oil. The higher its properties in this area, the better it is for the engine.
- Fuel Economy: The less friction the oil puts on the internal pathways of the motor, the more efficient the car becomes in fuel economy; due to the fact that the engine has to work less in the oil circulation process.
Our First Choice
If you want total engine protection, excellent fuel economy and a product recommended for applications under warranty, you want Mobil 1. The world’s leading synthetic motor oil, it features a proprietary SuperSyn anti-wear technology that provides performance beyond conventional motor oils.
Mobil 1 5W-30 is an energy conserving viscosity oil that provides excellent all season protection. It meets the requirements for diesel-powered vehicles and it’s recommended for all types of modern vehicles, including high-performance turbocharged, supercharged gasoline and multi-valve fuel injected engines found in passenger cars, SUVs, vans, and trucks.
Mobil 1 5W-30 is a general purpose engine oil for all types of vehicles where a 5W-30 viscosity is recommended. It is designed to provide outstanding wear protection, maintain excellent engine cleanliness and the performance reserve to keep engines in newer cars running smooth and clean.
With the number of oil brands and options available today, things become really complicated when it comes to picking the right oil for your car. Our number one recommendation would be to seek your owners manual first and follow the instructions detailed in it.
Furthermore, it is also important to do some extra research and check out various customer ratings and reviews. Though the user manual should be the ultimate guide, it could sometimes get outdated in the case of an old car model.
Finally, when picking the right oil for your car, quality should never be compromised. Though it might be tempting to choose the cheapest synthetic oil available on the shelf, it might end up costing you more in the long run. After an extensive detailed research, you are guaranteed to get the best out of your car if you use any of the above oil suggested in this review.